Monday, January 30, 2006

Technology is wonderful!!!


This morning, I started to be mad at myself when I heard someone messaging me as I hadn't turned down my sound last night. It was more than once...so I got up. With one miniscule movement of my mouse to get rid of the screensaver, my anger for being woken up had quickly changed to pure happiness. I saw the screen name of this wonderful man! (just look at those dimples!!!)

Not only did technology make it so that we could talk to each other for nearly 2 hours this morning with me here in Lexington and him in Iraq, but technology was even nicer to me this morning. ... I was able to see him smile at me! (and he wasn't in all that gear either!)

It amazes me how he can be halfway around the world and we can have a normal conversation. Sure the topics aren't always the best (from what he can tell me at the moment) or they may just consist of "hi...how are you...I miss you...I'm going to be gone a few days", but we are both able to smile.

Even though my technology doesn't always work the way I want it to...he is able to see me too...through stills right now. The connection in Iraq isn't ideal, but neither is the fact that he is there. We never know when there will be a power outage, or when someone will knock on the door and say we have a mission; be ready to leave in 10 minutes, but just a few seconds of talking to each other is fine with us. We are happy with the moments we get.

For most of the nearly two years that we have known each other he has been in Iraq. August he comes home...duty time complete. August is just 6 months away. Time always has its way of going faster than you expect it will. I'm excited to see what the next 6 months and the time there after holds for us!

No comments: