Friday, March 24, 2006

Gender Stereotyping

I really hate being stereotyped for something.

Growing up...if there was one thing that I'd pick out that is practical that my dad taught me it is some knowledge about cars. Now, by NO means am I saying I know everything or even half of everything, BUT I will venture to say that I know more than the average girl. Before I even had my drivers permit, I could check and add all fluid levels in the car, change my spark plugs as well as change the oil. It wasn't until several years later that I learned how to change a tire....kind of ironic I think. Anyway, as years went on...I learned even more about the car that I used to drive. I changed the idle pulley and serpentine belt on it as well as other minor things like windshield wipers and rearview mirrors.

Now, I say all of this because I took my car to the shop today. Not just any shop, I drove up to Cincy last night to take it this morning to the shop that has literally watched me grow up. Well the guy who "took care of me" this morning when I told him what was wrong he goes, "Did you run over something??" I said "no" He then continues on to say, "Are you sure...there are a lot of things that can leak out under a car." I reply with,"well, oil is that black stuff right??...that's what's under the car." The guy who runs the place and who has known me since I was itty bitty then walks into the garage and I just say good morning to him and have a little warm chatter. The new guy who was taking care of me then was much more careful in how he voiced his opinions.

It kills me because I know that if I lost the boobs, grew a penis and was wearing the same exact clothing (jeans, a hoodie and tennis shoes) that he would have never questioned if I knew what it was. MEN!

Moving on....this weekend is Career Conference in Indy!! I'm so stinkin' excited!!! I'm ready to learn some new things and to just have some good ol' girlfriend time.

Also, since my last post this is what has been going on:
  • Tuesday night went to Owenton with SS, his brother and his brother's girlfriend to see wrestling. Yes....wrestling....you know the kind you see on tv. It wasn't as bad as I expected and I definitely got an education.
  • I got the go-ahead from the apartment manager to put out a flyer for resident appreciation. Friday the 31st they are having resident appreciation and so I wanted to do something special to get my name out there and begin working the complex much more. I asked if I could do a drawing and such....she said yes and if I wanted to put out a flyer I could. YAY!!
  • Saw my wonderful friend Nicole last night before I headed up to Cincy. Blake was at her parents' and Chris was at the library studying so we had some time for just the two of us to chill.
  • Mom cancelled her interviews in FLA!!!! It doesn't mean she's not moving...it's just going to be put off for about 6 months....that's ok with me...I'll take all the time I can get!
I think that's about it in a nutshell!!!

Have a super, terrific, wonderful day!!!!

2 comments:

Xavier said...

thank ya katie!

Katy said...

thank you for what?